Friday, May 27, 2005

What had happened was . . .

O.K. Maybe I am not as aware as I would like to think, but am I the only one that was not offended by the comments of Mexico's President Vicente Fox. He stated that Mexicans took jobs, "that even blacks would not do," but isn't that the truth? I lived in Atlanta for nearly two years and I saw Mexicans standing on corners in the cold looking for jobs. I saw them working construction, as janitorial staff, shoveling snow in the winter and cutting lawns in the summer. I am sure there are tons of other jobs that they did/do that I have no idea exist and I am sure that some of these jobs would be considered demeaning. But does that mean that "even blacks won't do them"? Well doesn't that statement say it all, because if its available to do then NOBODY'S doing them. Not just blacks. How come he didn't say whites aren't doing them (I know why and so do you but for argument sake I'll put that in there), Asian immigrants aren't doing them, middle-easterners fleeing for their lives aren't doing them. No he said Blacks, I read Blacks and you read blacks. But if you think about it, for him to mention that "even blacks would not do" should be seen as a reference to our contribution to this country.

In it's founding years Africans were brought to this country for purely economic reasons. Yes, the sole purpose of the Middle Passage was money. Later on Africans as well as natives from Caribbean countries were brought into this country as bodies for the front line. Through all of this they built this country. The built it with inventions, educators, scientists and with their own two hands and strong determination. All the while raising families and building communities. This work was not rewarded with the lucrative, prestigious job offers, but at times the most degrading and the most demeaning. Blacks have had to DO some of the most disgusting jobs in the name of feeding their children and keeping their eyes on the prize. That is OUR reputation and we are not ashamed of it. But let's be honest that is no longer the norm. I know, I know the children of Caribbean parents are about to riot after reading that but I have to take side with them. Caribbeans (especially in South Florida) are most often the ones to DO the jobs of the cleaning and janitorial staff. But let's keep them out of this argument for now. I know (and you know) a lot of "Black-Americans" that find that certain jobs are beneath them and will not do them regardless of how much they need the money. They feel they shouldn't have to. That is their right. It is also the right of Mexican immigrants to take those jobs if they are available. Does that make Blacks lazy? No, I don't think so. Does it make Mexicans superior? Not in the least. Those who are protesting and boycotting (a task that requires a lot of strong will and work invented by Blacks in America) are giving President's Fox's comment more validity than necessary.

It brings to mind another point. How are Americans going to dictate how the President of another country addresses his citizens? He said it, we heard it and he meant it. We told him some people found it offensive, he said that's not how he meant it and he's sorry. So now we want to vilify him? Do we have the right? Look at who our President is?

I am not diminishing anyone's feelings nor am I dismissing any opinions but I just think that we are losing focus on what's really important. Let's not get caught up in the Media Hype, because that's what this is. Public Schools do not have enough resources, teachers do not get paid enough and although the cost of living keeps going up my paycheck isn't. Shouldn't Al sorption and Jesse Jackson be mad at that. Shouldn't they be on television saying how disgusting it is that a two-income family with two kids can't afford to live in a house big enough to house them?

So if I get a free trip to Mexico I am going. If I am hungry and the nearest place is a Mexican restaurant, I'm eating. If a fine Mexican man smiles at me I am smiling right back. But if I turn on the television and see either Al sorption and/or Jesse Jackson talking about anything that is not in the least helpful to the state of Black America today then honey, I am popping Napoleon Dynamite into the DVD player!!

That's just what I'm sayin'.

No comments: